Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Good lines from *Shirley* , by Charlotte Brontë

To avoid excitement was one of Miss Mann's aims in
life. She had been composing herself ever since she came down in the
morning, and had just attained a certain lethargic state of tranquillity
when the visitor's knock at the door startled her, and undid her day's
work.


Had he not expressed
disdain of everything in Yorkshire? What more conclusive proof could be
given that he was better than anything there?



"Yorke, if I got off horseback and
laid myself down across the road, would you have the goodness to gallop
over me, backwards and forwards, about twenty times?"
"Wi' all the pleasure in life, if there were no such thing as a
coroner's inquest."


"Improving a husband! No. I shall insist upon my husband improving me, or
else we part."

"God knows it is needed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment