Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Oh yeah? Same ta YOU, toots!"

A woman getting off the bus this morning who apparently, like my kindergarten teacher, mistook physical awkwardness and slowness on the uptake for malice, screeched at me, "You're in my way, lady!"

I loudly thanked her for telling me that, since it was my life's goal to trouble decent people like herself. She was halfway down the block before I finished, though her husband or something was still standing outside the bus with his mouth open, staring in at me. Everyone else looked away.

In real life, you don't get applause for smacking down the most obnoxious passenger on the bus. People aren't sure you deserve it -- they didn't hear the whole thing, or can' t tell what's being said -- and anyway, they don't have a dog in this fight.

It's the one who takes it public who comes under scrutiny first. This often means the one with the louder voice. Guess who that tends to be.

Hm. Maybe she was my kindergarten teacher. Unlikely, but it makes me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment